Thursday, January 26, 2012

Technology Narrative

As an English major I do a fair amount of writing. Mostly, especially for schoolwork, I write on the computer. It is faster, neater (considering my handwriting is atrocious), and who doesn't love spell check? There are certain types of writing that I prefer to use a simple pen and paper for:  journal entry, poetry, song lyrics, shopping lists, etc. For the most part, though, if I am doing schoolwork such as essay writing, or creating short stories, corresponding via email or Facebook, or blogging, I am on a computer.  

Having said this, my preference in terms of my writing process usually begins freehand and culminates on the computer screen. Final products, or almost-finished, products are completed on the computer, but usually began on paper. I do most of my brainstorming in a notebook, or on random pieces of paper found frantically after a thought struck me out of the blue. There is something organic and natural to me in spur-of-the-moment ideas recorded on the back of a receipt, a paper napkin, or more often than not, the top of my hand. Some of my best pieces of writing originated from one word or one line that came to me seemingly out of nowhere. Obviously, this does not necessarily apply to formal writing such as a business letter or a research paper. Creative writing, though, starts for me on paper and then eventually makes its way into a Word document. 

In terms of software, Microsoft Office is, embarrassingly, the extent of my skill level. I am a pretty fast learner and relatively intelligent, so I am fairly confident I could become comfortable with most computer software with some instruction, but I have never really exposed myself to software other than Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. This lack of exposure to computer software is partially due to fear of failing to understand, and partially due to the fact that I have never had to use other software. Before I was an English Literature major I was an English BSED student, and apart from Livetext, I wrote my lesson plans mostly on Word. Now that I have changed my major to strictly English,  I am sure there is other software with which I will need to familiarize myself.

Currently, having left the education world in terms of becoming an English teacher, I am leaning towards an interest in journalism and editing. I am most interested in working for magazines such as Elle, Marie Claire, Vanity Fair, and Vogue. Specifically, I am still fleshing out what I would be most successful writing about. Regardless, I think it goes without saying that there will be a large amount of writing with computers which is required by professions within journalism and/or publishing. I am looking forward to learning about blogging, website design, and other types of writing with computers such as these, as I am sure software will be introduced which will prove most useful to me as I head into the world of journalism, publishing, and magazine writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment